Jennifer M. Verkamp
Jennifer Verkamp’s practice has focused on complex False Claims Act, commercial, and personal-injury lawsuits since graduation from Georgetown University Law Center in 1996. She has developed particular expertise in the highly-technical arena of applying the False Claims Act to health-care fraud and was an Ohio Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in 2006.
Ms. Verkamp’s current practice primarily involves the prosecution of complex federal cases brought under the False Claims Act. She is involved in more than 20 complex federal litigations in either investigation or active litigation. As part of that practice, Ms. Verkamp manages and executes protracted discovery, lasting over many years, involving hundreds of thousands of documents, and extensive depositions. She works closely with government fraud counsel and investigators, and is co-author of an article discussing the relationship between counsel for qui tam relators and government counsel. Ms. Verkamp is adept at managing the complex dynamics of large teams of lawyers and other professionals in big-case prosecution.
A Cincinnati, Ohio native, she graduated with a premedical degree from Xavier University.
- Ms. Verkamp was a lead counsel in United States ex rel. SCCI Health Services in the Southern District of Texas. She worked closely with the United States’ counsel in the prosecution of that case through protracted discovery and settlement in late 2006.
- Ms. Verkamp prosecuted a qui tam case against Hunt Valve, General Dynamics and Northrup Grumman until settlement in 2005 and 2006. That case resulted in two criminal convictions. Ms. Verkamp was recognized by the Department of Defense Criminal Investigative Service for her support of the civil and criminal investigations.
- Ms. Verkamp has had an ongoing primary role in the qui tam case of United States ex rel. Pogue v. DTCA, part of the MDL litigation against HCA. This case has resulted in many precedent-setting decisions in the health care fraud arena.
- She was the architect of reversal of a trial defeat for a seaman whose defeat turned into a damage award exceeding $3 million in 2003.
- Ms. Verkamp also played important roles in other civil suits, including a qui tam case against Boeing and a commercial case against PepsiCo, each of which resulted in recoveries exceeding $50 million in 2000 and 2002.
- Morgan Verkamp LLC
- Volkema Thomas LPA, 2005 – 2007
- Helmer, Martins & Morgan Co., LPA, 1997 – 2004
- J.D. Georgetown University
- B.S. Xavier University
- Significant original contributor to False Claims Act: Whistleblower Litigation, Co-Authored by James B. Helmer, Jr., 2003 Supplement, Lexis Nexis
- Co-Author, Notes From the Field: Practicalities of the Qui Tam “Working Partnership” Under the 1986 False Claims Act Amendments, 29 FCA and Qui Tam Quarterly Review 31 (2003)
- Cincinnati Academy of Leadership for Lawyers, Inducted 2003
- Frequent speaker on the False Claims Act at national conferences sponsored by Taxpayers Against Fraud and the American Bar Association.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Jesuit Spiritual Center at Milford